A few weeks ago, I made this Amazing Whole Wheat Pizza Crust and was very pleased with the way it turned out. It's an easy recipe, and the dough is easy to handle--rolls out evenly, stretches without falling apart, etc. I made one batch and we had pizza two nights in a row.

Pizza.
With caramelized onions, braised kale, rehydrated mushrooms, gorgonzola. A bit out of control.

We also had hearty little sweet rolls made out of the same dough one morning. I rolled out the leftover dough into a rectangle, dotted it with butter, and sprinkled on cinnamon, ginger, brown sugar, rehydrated and chopped apricots, and slivered almonds. Then I rolled it up like a rug, sliced into inch-wide pieces, and baked at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. Not too sweet, and very easy to grab on the way to your next Saturday morning chore. Seriously, I ate about 10 of them that day. But that also means I did a lot of chores.

My ongoing quest to be a better meal planner and to make as much from scratch as possible involves virtuous things like loading the new freezer with lumps of this pizza dough. I haven't done it yet, but I have high hopes.

3 comments:

  1. the kitschen table said...

    This pizza looks amazing. We are vegetarian, and we love to make pizza. So much so, that my husband is researching building a wood fired pizza oven in our backyard. I am going to try your recipe soon.

    Thanks!
    Julie  

  2. Maven said...

    Julie, a backyard pizza oven sounds like heaven. I'd probably never eat anything else. One of the bloggers I follow just started construction on one: check Modern in MN to see what she's doing.  

  3. Molly Jean said...

    More really IS better! Especially on pizza... and yours is no exception :)