Tart Cherry-Pear Crisp.

I spotted some bags of home-grown sour cherries in the co-op freezer last week and grabbed a bag, even though I had no real plans for them. I thought I'd dump some in my green smoothies (which I just now remembered thinking about, so obviously I haven't done it yet), but instead I busted them out for a little dessert tonight.

Tart Cherry-Pear Crisp
For the filling:
About 5 cups of fruit (frewit). Peel, core, and cube the pears (I used two fat ones) and make sure your cherries are pitted.
1/4 cup of packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 tbsp cornstarch

For the crumbly stuff:
1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup ground almonds (trying to use up my nut pulp. Nut pulp!)
1/4 cup AP flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup turbinado sugar
1/4 cup Earth Balance
2 tbsp soaked flax seeds (I was trying to use these up also)

Preheat the oven to 350.

Mix fruity ingredients together in a bowl and set aside. Mix crumbly ingredients in another bowl with your hands until the butter stuff is incorporated and all is crumbly. Dump fruit into 8 X 8 X 2 baking dish and top with crumble, making sure it's all covered. Bake for 40 minutes.

This was totally delicious but needed ice cream. Also more buttery stuff in the crumble, or maybe some oil. Something fatty, in any case. Still, I ate it:
Eaten cobbler.

Also for breakfast, with yogurt:
More uses for cobbler.

Next time I shall amp up the fruit, fat, and ginger content.

0 comments: